Sunday, October 21, 2012

Two-Ways Pumpkin Muffins

We know it's that time of year for all things orange, squashy, and spicy. It's also always time for anything chocolatey and/or walnuty! 




It's also apparently time to learn about baking the hard way!


I definitely wanted to make some pumpkin goodness and saw Lindsay Nixon had a recipe worth trying. My past two efforts were for the loaves, as per the recipe. One cup of sugar alarmed me, so I cut the sugar in half in the first batch. And for whatever reason (variations in pumpkin puree brands, I think) my batter came out rather blah and dry. 


During the second batch, I went a little overboard making wet additions (apple sauce, maple syrup, etc.) to correct the dry problem... resulting in a soggy loaf that wouldn't cook in the middle until the outside was inedibly solid... and rather black. 





Two less-than-thrilling bread batches later, I decided to reroute my tactic! I don't know when I'll learn not to experiment until after I've followed a recipe at least once, but having to pick away at botched bread for the next week sounds like sufficient penance to me. 


It was time to revamp things a little, so this is what I tried for round #3. I snagged some of the classic pumpkin puree we all know and love and decided to drop these bad boys into cupcake liners: wetter batter, less cook time.   


The end result: Glorious, long-awaited success! Now I need to see if I can ever conquer the bread version... :)


This recipe can go two ways: you can make a whole batch of either chocolate or walnut muffins, or you can split the batter in half and make a batch of each. I decided to go the second route so I could try them both ways! If you don't split the batter, add 1/2 cup of your chosen addition; if you do, only use 1/4 cup for each. 


Also, be sure to make the yummy walnut topping from my baked peaches recipe and spread it over the top of the walnut muffins before placing them the oven. The batter will render about 14 muffins (but you can probably move the batter around to get them into a standard 12). 



Now that's what I call crowd pleasing variety! :) 

Two-Ways Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from Happy Herbivore


Wet
  • 1/4 c plant-based milk
  • 1/4 tsp lemon juice
  • 15 ounces pumpkin
  • 1/2 c coconut or date sugar
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Dry
  • 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 c whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1/2 + 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Note: For sweeter muffins, add 1/4 cup coconut sugar to wet ingredients.
    Instructions
    • Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a standard muffin pan or line with silicon cups.
    • Whisk non-dairy milk with lemon juice and set aside. Whisk or use electric mixer to combine pumpkin, sugar, syrup, extract, and milk mixture.
    • In separate bowl, whisk spices, flours, baking soda and powder together. Pour wet into dry.
    • Here you have two options: you can make an entire batch of either chocolate chip or walnut muffins or you can divide the batter in two for a mixed batch of both. If don't want to divide the batter, fold in 1/2 cup of your optional ingredient (chocolate chips or walnuts). If you choose to divide the batter, fold in 1/4 cup in each.
    • If making walnut muffins, make your maple walnut topping now. In food processor, whiz 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 2-3 tsp maple syrup until finely chopped (don't over-process).
    • Using a spatula, fill muffin cups almost to the top and spread maple walnut topping on walnut muffins, if using.
    • Bake for 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.


    This season's food possibilities are endless. Time to eat good food, enjoy cool weather, and relish the season. :) Happy October, friends!  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment