Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mint Chocolate Smoothie

Okay, so I've decided this is CHOCOLATE week! 

Yes, I just posted about dark chocolate pancakes yesterday. Today I'm giving you my mint chocolate smoothie recipe. Tomorrow I'm making a luscious loaf of chocolate banana bread for my home-group and, perhaps to my shame, I plan on making a batch of decadent dairy-free chocolate pudding for an end-of-the-week dessert.

Only you can decide if I need an intervention...

Perhaps it's a blogging sin to double (or triple) up on post topics, but my smoothie this morning was delicious and I felt I had to share!

Chocolate and mint: what a perfect food marriage! I don't care what anyone says. Chocolate and mint belong together! (Much like chocolate and peanut butter). Thankfully, a lifestyle of smoothie-making means I can enjoy these happily-ever-after food-loves morning after morning! Mmmm. :)

My mother consolidated some fresh herbs for me in a giant planter which I now keep on our balcony. God bless her! I'm thrilled that, for at least 3 herbs, I no longer need to blow 3 bucks on those tiny crates of already-browning spices. My little garden now provides me with mint, chives, and basil (plus a couple little tomatoes are growing in there, too). I'm looking forward to the gardening possibilities we'll have when we own a yard some day, but this little herb planter is happy a step in that direction! :) Talk about cost-effective produce!

Having just received my fragrant little bundle on Sunday, I decided to dive right in and make a chocolate mint smoothie this morning. I haven't had one since my first attempt a few months ago, and so I'm glad I'll be able to make them more often now that the key ingredient is growing right outside my door!

Not mine
Ingredients: 

1 1/2 cups packed greens (kale, spinach, or mixed greens)
1 frozen banana
2-3 dried dates
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tbsp wheat germ
1 tbsp chia seed gel
2 heaping tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/8-1/4 cup fresh mint leaves (to taste)
1 cup nondairy milk
1 handful of ice

Isn't it fun to indulge in one of God's tastiest (and healthiest) foods? At least knowing that raw cacao has more antioxidants than any other plant food alleviates the guilt! :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment