Monday, August 6, 2012

Dark Chocolate Pancakes

Hey gang! The "Recipes Links" page is now up and running, so if you're hankering for some good idea-browsing, check what I've collected on that page thus far! More will definitely be added to the list as I find little internet gems over time. 

Now get that appetite going by reading about some pancakes... :) 

Pancakes are a real treat, but too dense and sweet for frequent breakfasting. In my mind, they seem like Saturday-morning or guests-for-breakfast type fare. And so while I've wanted to try this chocolate pancake recipe for a while, no one who has come to visit seemed to relish chocolate as much as I do. But this Saturday morning I decided it was time and I'm glad I gave them a try! (I was the chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup and chocolate sprinkles girl... does that say anything? :)

These pancakes are meant for jam rather than syrup, but the recipe also suggested spreading some warm peanut butter and banana slices on top! Zach thought they were a bit on the rich side, but for a chocolate-lover like me they were just right. 

Here's what I did: (I cut these measurements in half because I only wanted 3 pancakes):
Adapted from the ever-popular Lindsay Nixon :)

Yields 6 pancakes

3/4 cup brown rice flour (can use whole-wheat pastry flour)
1/4 cup unsweetened raw cacao powder
1 tbsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup almond milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp brown sugar (I wanted to use my new [unrefined] date sugar, but it hadn't come in the mail yet!)
Strawberry jam or peanut butter with bananas

1. Whisk flour, cacao powder, and salt together in large bowl.
2. Combine non-dairy milk with syrup and sugar, if using. (I usually try to get away with omitting added sugars, but I find that without sweeteners, cacao makes baked goods too bitter).
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined; some lumps are okay.
4. Let rest for 10 minutes.

I didn't think my stainless steel pan could handle pancake flipping, and I didn't want to grease anything, so as I was laying in bed the night before I thought... Hmmm, could I BAKE pancakes? The answer is: YES! Not only does this mean a pan-free (and therefore Teflon and/or oil free) pancake experience, but you can also plop all your batter down on one sheet and finish the batch in one fell swoop! 



Here's what I did:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Scoop up 1/4 cup of the batter and place in wide circles on your sheet.
4. Place in oven for 10 minutes.
5. If done one side, you can either flip them and bake for another 5 minutes or put the broiler on to cook the tops.
6. Keep an eye on them: make sure they're cooked through, but don't over-bake them or they will come out too dry.

Even if uber-chocolate pancakes aren't your thing, you can do this with any kind of pancake! I think it was a fun loophole and will probably use this method from now on! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment