Saturday, October 6, 2012

Tomato Basil Cream Pasta

My husband's oft mentioned request: "could we have pasta once a week?" is sometimes ignored on my part. Shameful, I know.

My eagerness to try the fascinating array of vegan recipes I come across from blog-scoping, googling, and recipe book browsing means Zach's one comfort food suggestion often gets pushed to the back of my mental "fridge" as it were.

Sorry, babe.

I decided to scope out homemade pasta sauces since I'd prefer to approach this Italian classic from multiple angles. We hosted home group this week and I knew a pasta dish would be a safe crowd-pleaser. I definitely didn't want to just let some jar do all the work for me, so I commissioned this easy tomato basil cream recipe and boy am I glad I did!

It's smooth, comforting, and EASY. I may have just found a new pasta staple for me. :)


Tomato Basil Cream Pasta
Adapted slightly from Oh She Glows

Print this recipe

Makes 4 servings (I tripled the measurements for our guests, but I doubled it for you :)

- 4 servings pasta of choice
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped (set aside)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup raw cashew (soaked in warm water for a few hours)
- 3-4 tbsp tomato paste
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1-2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 cup fresh basil, chopped

Cook pasta according to directions. In blender, puree tomatoes until smooth. Add water, cashews, tomato paste and liquefy. Line skillet with thin layer of broth or water. Saute garlic for a few minutes in bottom of pan and then add sauce from blender into the pot. Heat gently and add seasonings, vinegar, and basil to taste. Lastly, add last chopped tomato to sauce and stir. When warm, remove from heat, mix into to pasta or pour on top.




No comments:

Post a Comment