Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gallo Pinto Breakfast Burritos

Where are the savory breakfasts? That's what my one self-titled "salt-toothed" friend wanted to know...and rightly so! She pointed out what I've known for a while... most of what I post about is sweet! I'm not a 24/7 sugar addict, I promise! It's just that most of what I subsist on throughout the day isn't worth posting about... (I.e. steamed veggies, rice, salads, leftovers... you know. Grad student food).



I had a feeling I was being remiss in posting about savory meals, and my friend confirmed that I need a heartier focus these days. So this is my effort to propose a brekkie idea that will hopefully appeal to the A.M-Eggs-and-Bagels type person. I don't always want sugar first thing in the morning, so I can definitely relate to the potential for a savory-shaped hole forming in the plant-based heart.

Vegan breakfasts tend to call upon sweet ingredients (fruit) for the most part and most savory options incorporate tofu into some kind of quiche, egg scramble, or sausage crumble type deal. I've grown to love tofu lately, but I don't expect others to do the same (even though it really is harmlessly taste-neutral), so I needed some alternative inspiration.

Then memories from my Costa Rican travels swooped down on me like a bean-loving parrot! (We actually had a parrot "friend" in Costa Rica who liked to join us for breakfast and spit beans at my dad... true story).

When my parents and I traveled there back in 2006, we noticed something literally one day after our arrival: they served gallo pinto, i.e. rice and beans, essentially every morning for breakfast! We traveled around a good deal during our stay there... and everywhere we went: rice and beans in the morning.

Costa Rica 2006

That seemed like odd A.M. fare to me at first, but since I love rice and beans it took all of one day for me to adjust to the brilliancy of the notion (and to start stacking my plate up every day I was there).

Now I look on it as an awesome ethnic vegan breakfast option! And since putting things burrito form obviously makes them so much better, here's my take on Costa Rican, savory, vegan good eats:




Gallo Pinto Breakfast Burrito


Print this recipe
  • 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed, drained, and separated
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup veggie stock
  • 1 medium tomato, diced and seeded OR 1 red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice OR quinoa
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • Fresh cilantro
  • Dashes of hot sauce, to taste
  • Garlic, onion, chili powders, salt, pepper, to taste
  • Whole wheat tortilla wraps (love this brand)
Add-In Ideas
  • Diced pineapple
  • Diced sweet potato
  • Salsa or hot sauce
  • 1/2 avocado, slice
Line large skillet with veggie stock and saute onions and garlic on medium high for several minutes until a little translucent. Add cumin and vinegar and mix to coat.

Lower heat to medium-low. Take 1/2 cup beans and puree or mash them with a bit of water to form a loose paste. Mix in mashed beans, remaining beans, and rice and heat thoroughly.

Add tomato/pepper, green onions, and cilantro and mix in gently. Add any additional seasonings to taste.

Warm your tortilla/wrap, load your rice and toppings, wrap up and enjoy!



The best thing about this meal: it's an easy week's worth of goodness. Throw together your rice and beans filling on Sunday night and load your wraps in the morning throughout the week!



Savory, filling, veggie-friendly breakfast (or lunch, or dinner)... Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment