Thursday, June 28, 2012

Simple Black Beans and Rice


Beans. Rice. So cheap. So simple. SO good!

I'm posting this as per request from my friend Hilary over at My So Called Home. This dish is as easy as a can of beans, a cup of rice, and a whole lot of savory goodness!

Black Beans:

1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (can use dried in the interest of money and to avoid sodium/BPA)
1/2 cup water (add more for soupy consistency if desired)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, seeded and cubed
3-4 cloves garlic
1 no-salt added veggie bullion cube
Cumin to taste (i.e. a lot!)
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Chili powder (all to taste)
Dash cayenne pepper

3-4 bay leaves

Place beans in a medium saucepan on med-high heat and add water and veggie bullion cube. Place chopped onion and peeled garlic cloves in a blender or food processor with a splash of water (I use my Cuisinart chopper appliance) and make a puree. Once beans begin heating up, add onion/garlic puree to beans and start seasoning to taste (I use a lot of cumin and keep adding the other yummy spices until I get a good, savory Mexican flavor!). Stir frequently. Seed and dice tomato and add once beans are thoroughly hot. 

Tip
:  The salt from canned beans should definitely suffice, but if you're using dried, add small sprinkle of salt at table. Or you can add a splash of vinegar to the beans while they're cooking for some salt-alternative tang.


Not mine

Goya's Arroz Amarillo boxed rice is delectable, indeed. But sadly the ingredients list is a mile-long science experiment. Here's a cheap and easy way to make your own whole-foods version!

Yellow Rice (adapted from Emeril's Yellow Rice Recipe)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I added more cumin and turmeric to taste)
  • Pinch cinnamon
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (can omit this)
  • 1 1/2 cups long grain or basmati rice (I used brown)
  • 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
"In a medium saucepan, heat the turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon over low heat until fragrant, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Add the rice and stir well. Cover and reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cook, covered, without stirring until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, without stirring, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, add scallions, and serve."

The best part about these leftovers: the longer they sit, the tastier they become! :)

3 comments:

  1. Mm mm mmm! I really gotta try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Let me know how it goes! :)

    I'm going to try a version with some additions this week: corn, pinto beans, and cilantro. Mmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is close to a bean dip that I make by putting it all in the food processor and then chop up some veggies for a crudite...and different beans can be used for that, too.

    I like to rinse my canned beans, though, b/c they do tend to be high in sodium...then I just add to taste if needed...

    ReplyDelete