Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Oat Smoothie

There are no if's, and's or but's about it: I LOVE the fall! Everything about it is wonderful. I have a fall-fanatic post coming up in a couple weeks that will explicate my undying appreciate for this time of the year...

But until then, I thought I'd tie you over with a recipe I drummed up and have been eager to try!


I've been enjoying the rich consistency and "staying power" that oats have been adding to my smoothies lately. And since we all love apples and cinnamon, I knew this had to work out. Plus, hallelujah-the-Lord-be-praised, organic apples are back at Wegmans! I've been checking the apple section longingly for months now to no avail! But the fall never disappoints! The long months of "deprivation" are over... (Sob story, I know).

Apple Cinnamon Oat Smoothie
  • 1 apple, skinned and chopped (pink lady, gala... probably not granny smith unless you like tang!)
  • 1/2 ripe frozen banana (1 whole banana = too sweet) 
  • 1/2 cup silken tofu (optional)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Dash of nutmeg 
  • 1 tbsp chia seed gel
  • 1 tbsp wheat germ
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
  • Handful of ice

The first batch commissioned a whole banana and turned out a deal too sweet for my tastes, so I tried another round only using half of one and that toned it down perfectly! (Hint: If you're going to be a routine smoothie-maker, keep a bag of frozen banana slices in your freezer at all times. I buy a good 10-12 bananas every week and freeze half of them as they ripen and save the other half to eat fresh).

I also know most of us don't keep silken tofu in our fridges, and while I'm not a huge soy gal, it can help add some creaminess and protein into the mix. You could probably omit it and just use extra ice and milk and to get enough volume, however.

Also... you could probably throw in a dab of peanut butter for general awesomeness! (PB = Love). 

So for those in temperate climes: enjoy the coming crisp weather! For those in hot places... Consider moving to the "cool" side? :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment