Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thai Goodness!

Thai Vegetable Curry



This is the first time my attempt at a Thai-inspired meal actually worked out! (I must hand it to Thai people... their cuisine is masterfully complex and delicious as a result!)

This goodie came from the recipe section of Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D which I tweaked a bit. I omitted some ingredients and substituted others, and also added more curry for better oomph... but other than that I pretty much followed the book! Super easy, TONS of leftovers, and mmm, mmm good!

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbs finely chopped fresh ginger (can use jarred)
2 tbs chopped fresh mint
2 tbs chopped fresh basil
2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups carrot juice (I used Bolthouse Farms brand 100% carrot juice, since I can't juice my own yet. Should be available in most stores...  We have it out here in the boonies!)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 large eggplant, peeled if desired and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups green beans cut into 2-inch pieces
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained (I omitted this... didn't feel like scouring the international section at Wegmans)
2 tbs no-salt veggie seasoning
1/2 tsp curry powder (I did more like 1 tsp and then some!)
2 cups watercress leaves
3 tbs natural chunky peanut butter
2 pounds firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices (Did without that. Personally not into tofu subbing yet...)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped
Chopped fresh mint, basil, or cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)

"Place the garlic, ginger, mint, basil, cilantro, carrot juice, bell pepper, eggplant, green beans, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, seasoning, curry powder and 1 cup of the watercress into a wok or large skillet. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are tender. Mix in the peanut butter. Add the tofu, bring to a simmer and toss until hot. Add the coconut milk and heat through. Top with remaining watercress and cashews. Garnish with mint, basil, or cilantro, if desired.

This can be served with brown rice or quinoa. Frozen veggies can be used instead of fresh."

If you try it out, let me know the results! It was a hit for me! :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm just thinking of when we would go to Thai Thai and you wouldn't eat the Chinese broccoli...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Crazy how things change. Now I got to Wegmans on multiple occasions looking to buy it to no avail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me! You could maybe use water chestnuts for the bamboo shoots, I love their crunch.

    (P.S. Look into removing the "enter the characters" security thing...)

    ReplyDelete