Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chocolate Cherry Mug Cake

I've been cooking from The Everyday Happy Herbivore for months and I do not know why I haven't tried Lindsay Nixon's chocolate mug cake recipe sooner!

It's been an unofficial mission of mine to try nixing and/or or substituting refined sugar in my recipes when I can (a few good reasons for doing so here), so I knew my version might come out a little less sweet than hers. I tried to think of something fruit-based that I could compensate with and decided to concoct a cherry sauce to pour on top. I was elated to discover that simply blending a few frozen cherries and a splash of orange juice together could turn into one sweet and tangy drizzle!

Chocolate Mug Cake:

4 tbsp white whole wheat flour
2 tbsp brown sugar (I substituted with date paste) 
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp plant milk 
¼+ cup unsweetened applesauce
vanilla extract
dash cinnamon
2-3 tbsp vegan chocolate chips (I did more like 1 tbsp and it was plenty sweet)

In a small bowl, whisk flour, sugar (or dates), cocoa, baking powder and cinnamon together, set aside. For a really sweet cake, add more sugar. In another small bowl, whisk ¼ cup applesauce, plant milk, and a drop or two of vanilla extract together. Pour wet into dry, then add chips, stirring to combine. Add another 1-2 tbsp of applesauce, until the batter is wet and resembles regular cake batter. Pour batter into a coffee cup, and microwave for three minutes (at 1000 watts). 

Per Serving: 276 Calories, 4.1g Fat, 59.3g Carbohydrates, 7.8g Fiber, 31.6g Sugar, 8.3g 

While that was microwaving, I blended my cherries and orange juice together. The cake needed a little more than 3 minutes in my microwave to cook through, but I'm going to try nuking it in a different container and see if that helps. When it was done, I poured on the juice, ate it warm, and stepped into chocolate-cherry heaven! Definitely will be making again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment